permaculture - Re: Increasing soil microbial activity

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: swrpi@igc.apc.org
  • To: <permawest@olywa.net>, <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Increasing soil microbial activity
  • Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 21:35:45 -0800 (PST)

At 05:56 PM 11/22/97 -0800, Permaculture West wrote:
I invite people to
>share their strategies for cultivating the garden beneath the soil.
>
> Regards,
> Kirk Hanson

One of my favorite techniques for increasing soil fauna is using dikon
radish as a deep breaking plow and letting it go to seed. I don't harvest
but a few of these big rooted vegetables and leave most to decompose and
form large pockets in the soil. This is particularly good on clayey soils
with little percolation. A couple of years and the soil is soft and full of
micro organisms.

I also use a product called Nitron which is a yeasty smelling solution which
is supposed to add beneficial enzymes to the soil to increase microbial
activity. I have used it on hard pan created by construction traffic and in
a few weeks am able to rototill or shovel down some six inches - where
before I couldn't open the soil with a pick.

The problem with the alkaline/clay soils in New Mexico and other parts of
the Southwest is that the cover crops such as alfalfa, vetch, cowpea, etc
can't penetrate to a depth to get good aeration and water penetration.
Without aeration the nitrogen fixation is minimal. I have been more
successful planting dikon, or cow turnips first and then follow with
nitrogineous ground covers.

This year we are covering our field with leaves from our trees - many are
black locusts which means some nitrogen - and hoping for a wet winter which
will help the decomposition process. We used this technique in our garden
for the past three years and the worm population has exploded.
<swrpi@igc.apc.org>
Permaculture Institute
Scott & Arina Pittman
PO Box 3702