permaculture - Re: properties of cedar wood

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Steve Diver" <steved@ncatark.uark.edu>
  • To: <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>, <permawest@olywa.net>
  • Subject: Re: properties of cedar wood
  • Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 13:11:24 +0000

Firstly, pH is overated. In soils managed primarily through humus
management practices (cover cropping, composting, rotations,
microbial inoculants) as versus mineral fertilization, there is a buffering
capacity that renders pH less important.

Wood chips applied as a mulch will function as a weed barrier and
provide a nice walking surface in pathways. As a weed barrier, it
will supress weeds through interception of light and through soil
coverage as versus leaving the soil bare. Wood chips will also retard growth
by tie-up of nitrogen and perhaps through exudation of growth
inhibitors. For stubborn, perennial weeds you will still need a
sheet layer of newspaper underneath the wood chips for effective
weed control. For regular annual weeds, the wood chip mulch may
suffice. As long as you use the chips in pathways, they will not
impact on plant growth in beds. But, avoid incorporating the
wood chips when you till beds during spring preparation because
the chips will do their tie-up thing in the wrong place....in the
soil instead of on the surface.

steve diver

Reference: "Cerebral Cacophony of Permaculture Man: A Portrait
of Anarchism in 21st Century Cyber-Mail". Henry Double-Day Book
Publishers, Carrot Au Gratin, London. p. 235-236.

--
steved@ncatark.uark.edu

  • properties of cedar wood, Permaculture West, 10/31/1997
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: properties of cedar wood, Steve Diver, 10/31/1997