permaculture - Re: Silphium, Cup Plant

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bil88@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Silphium, Cup Plant
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 01:33:50 -0500 (EST)

<< Does anyone know the species name and any particulars about "Cup Plant",
which I believe is a Silphium? Did I hear you mention this one once, Dan?

Silphium perfoliatum (cup plant) is in Composite family and is square stemmed
perennial, 3-8 ft tall, with a flower like a small sunflower (July to Sept.
here). Opposite leaves join together around the stem to form a distinctive,
water-holding cup.

We planted some here (by digging some roots from an abandoned patch) in a
demonstration swale at Rodale Institute in SE PA and it has done well this
rather dry summer.

Roots may have medicinal properties.

Bill Heasom