permaculture - Mollison bashing

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kirby Fry <KirbyFry@compuserve.com>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Mollison bashing
  • Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 08:23:59 -0400

Hi Gene,

Thanks for encouraging us to take heart and tighten our (money) belts. I
agree that it's hard to make a $20 or $30 thousand dollar income from
teaching and consulting but perhaps if you can get by on a $5 or $10
thousand income then you're getting somewhere. My wife and I have made it
on as little in the last four years. We don't even have to file for taxes.

I didn't read the article in the Activist but it sounded like teachers felt
Bill and Scott were pulling students away from other courses. We hosted
five courses with Scott and Bill over the last four years and none of them
brought in a landslide of students. # of students per design course - 60,
35, 17 (earth works), 30, 20 (advanced design course).

Anyhow, even though Bill can be gruff and grate his host the wrong way if
they're not straight with him, I'm still glad to have him around here in
the states.

KIRBY [@ Cross Timbers Permaculture Inst. on Lake Buchanan, TX;
512-756-7878; web address csf.colorado.edu/perma/]