permaculture - Re: Wasp statistics

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "April Sampson-Kelly" <askpv@ozemail.com.au>
  • To: <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Wasp statistics
  • Date: Mon, 29 Sep 1997 09:59:46 +1000

In permaculture we look for several elements to meet the needs of another,
we would design to use more than just one species of wasp.  And indeed more than just wasps.
We would consider several approaches (bacillus, attracting small birds to eat the caterpillars,
planting distractants for the caterpillars and then simply feeding the lot to our chickens - the distractant plants
we use here are mono cropped cabbage in the open as opposed to camouflaged cabbages with insect repellent plants
around them.  I also keep some weeds that they adore and some weeds that the predatory insects adore.
In permaculture we also recognise that elements work at least two ways, you are
controlling caterpillars  but what is controlling the wasp?  Do your wasps also kill
bees that are essential pollinators for many human-food plants.

we try to seek more than one solution and even though it may appear a quick fix, we never
forget the power of observation, we watch that quick fix to monitor the long term effects,
the new balance, as you mentioned.

For building up the wasps, observe their habitat and habits, what are they drinking, what do they
like to grow on etc.  They may even be territorial (?)

you wrote: I've seen many requests and responses for information on
> quick fixes.  Though this isn't counter to organic gardening, it does
> tend to sidetrack the ecosystem side a bit.

When we are aiming to work with the nature of things and not against them (another principle of permacultre)
then we have to recognise that the nature of human beings is to cry for help, to seek quick fix solutions
from our peers, this keeps us talking to each other.  and the mailing list would die if it weren't for daily problems,
Yes, we all recognise the big picture - but there is much credit to those who are struggling with little pieces.
Every little effort counts.
I am grateful not to have to learn all the little things myself.  I am grateful for the shower of
tiny pieces of information that fall my way which  sometimes turn out to be vital piece in a giant jigsaw.

April Sampson-Kelly  askpv@ozemail.com.au
www.ozemail.com.au/~askpv
My space can make this world a better place

> From: Lawrence F. London, Jr. <london@sunsite.unc.edu>
> To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
> Subject: Wasp statistics
> Date: Saturday, September 27, 1997 2:24 PM
>
> This isn't necessarily permaculture related but it is so beautifully
> written I thought I'd share it with you all.  LL.

  • Wasp statistics, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 09/27/1997
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Wasp statistics, April Sampson-Kelly, 09/28/1997