permaculture - RE: Privacy, Peace and Permaculture Promotion

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: April Sampson-Kelly <askpv@ozemail.com.au>
  • Subject: RE: Privacy, Peace and Permaculture Promotion
  • Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 11:36:49 +-1000

Greetings,
I spent a few years working as a period gardener at a historic
site, and understand the distractions you are experiencing. Part of my job
involved interpretation (basically tours). I found that a simple "hello"
So true - so true - I always say hello to people - We always nod to people
passing,
and NOW I know I'm behaving like a city person - hiding my face - fearful
that a raving
lunatic my pass - in the cities you're treated like a raving lunatic when you
say
hello to strangers!!! so True - thank you!
was plenty for most visitors, as they often preferred to muck about on
their own -- if they had questions or displayed any confusion I'd spend as
much time with them as they wanted, otherwise I'd continue with my work. I
think those visiting your site will have some understanding of
permaculture, and will perhaps not need much explained -- they may offer
helpful suggestions, too!

Well permaculture is huge field - and eternally complex - I'll never know
enough.
I think you're advantage is that you were working in a public space so people
felt
free to wander and quietly absorb.
I'll try to incorporate that in my system I think.
When kids ask to come and explore the back part which is wild - I say fine,
just look out for
snakes I call as they start mucking about, and the're off like rockets!!!
Regards, j
Thankyou, April