permaculture - Re: Permaculture garden beds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Vicki Garland <blissv@nmhu.campus.mci.net>
  • To: permaculture-mg@amani.ces.ncsu.edu
  • Subject: Re: Permaculture garden beds
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 1996 20:33:54 -0600 (MDT)

Hi Lee! Sheet composting is a great solution, especially if you have very
generous layers, that is, deep layers on top of the grassy stuff underneath.
Mollison's suggestions in the Perm book gives ingredients and depths of
sheet composting material. If the earth has been deeply cultivated
previously and has not been too compacted, you could have some luck. You
will have better luck, too, if you can at least check under where you intend
to plant to make sure the roots of the grasses are not a very dense network.
If so, loosening them will help. If you had a longer period of time for the
sheet composting to work, in a season, for example, the roots could break
down. This is, of course, one of the objectives of sheet composting. If you
prepare deep pits right where you plant your veggy plants that are full of
good compost, you should do well. Good luck..let us know how it grows!

Vicki