permaculture - Toxins in the soil

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: April Sampson-Kelly <askpv@ozemail.com.au>
  • Subject: Toxins in the soil
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 1996 12:19:12 +-1000

Yes, you can pick up toxins from imported matter
(that is things you bring into your permaculture system)
Some matter is more toxic than others - some is
pretty low - but if you are going to use a lot and
concentrate it somehow like composting or worm
farming -you'll get higher amounts and you are going to
have to deal with it on site - because in
Permaculture we don't let pollutants out of our
system - we minise and
deal with them with filters etc.
Some toxic matter can include Horse manure
from recently de-wormed horses through to heavily sprayed
fruits. Some toxin breaks down naturally in sunlight and
others need agents like bacteria.
On the issue of Paper - we don't compost anymore becuase we everything
directly as mulch or as feed for poultry etc. We use office ink that is
water soluble and operate a surprisingly paperless office. We use
imported newspaper and even cardboard but don't concentrate it --
it forms a really good weed barrier and basis for all the beds -no
dig and no soil beds - just mulch.
Does this answer some of you questions??
April

  • Toxins in the soil, April Sampson-Kelly, 05/28/1996