permaculture - Re: waste water treatment and farm effluent treatment

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Christopher Robinson <cr4@axe.humboldt.edu>
  • To: "M.A.H.Askey" <afu104@bangor.ac.uk>
  • Cc: permaculture-mg@amani.ces.ncsu.edu
  • Subject: Re: waste water treatment and farm effluent treatment
  • Date: Tue, 07 May 1996 08:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 6 May 1996, M.A.H.Askey wrote:

> Are there any technologies available, such as reed bed,marshland and
> wetland areas, utilising filtration methods for procesing animal wastes?
>

> regards,
>

> Martin Askey

Greetings,

If human waste qualifies as "animal" then we have what your looking for
treating our town's sewage. The Arcata Marsh is a wetland waste treatment
facility, using the natural filtration system you refer to, that has come
to double as a bird sanctuary on the Humboldt Bay. We have a rudimentary
web site at:

http://www.humnat.org/wastwet.htm

It is considered to be world class appropriate tech. We plan to
expand the web site into a virtual distance learning production that
will detail the process.

Regards
Christopher M Robinson
The Humboldt Sustainable Community Project
The HumboldtNation <http://www.humnat.org>
cr4@axe.humboldt.edu