permaculture - Permaculture Course

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David Fuller <sol3az@igc.apc.org>
  • To: permaculture-mg@amani.ces.ncsu.edu
  • Subject: Permaculture Course
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 20:55:26 -0700 (PDT)

5th Annual Permaculture Intensive Design Course

25 May thru 2 June 1996

To be held on the Navajo/Hopi reservation

Contact BMPP for more information:

(520) 629-9122 or PO Box 26195, Tucson, AZ 85726

The Course is offered by the BLACK MESA PERMACULTURE
PROJECT, an Indigenous-based organization, and is free
to Native Americans. The $250 fee for other
participants provides Native scholarships and.materials
for Course work projects that benefit host families.
Come equipped for self-sufficient primitive camping.

Our first priority is to provide a quality learning
experience to interested Native Peoples in an
atmosphere in which they feel comfortable and that
accommodates cultural differences. The course is most
fitted to those supportive of Native culture.

The Black Mesa Permaculture Project (BMPP) is a project
of Indigenous People living on reservations on the
Black Mesa in the Four Corners region of the Southwest.
What makes this project unique is that it is not only a
permaculture project on Native Lands, but a project of
the Indigenous People living there. It was founded by
local Dineh (Navajo) residents as part of an effort to
build a self-reliant and sustainable base to better
resist corporate encroachment and make sovereignty a
reality. BMPP stresses the healing of Mother Earth
while maintaining the integrity of traditional values
and practices which were the origins of permaculture -
completing a spiral cycle.

We provide hands-on education by developing working
permaculture models, by implementing and monitoring
projects, by giving workshops and demonstrations, and
by providing support and networking services. We also
assist other Native People, such as the Western
Shoshone Defense Project, implementing similar projects
outside Black Mesa where resources permit.