permaculture - Re: wealth and community

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Danielle Hyatt <giannora@emf.net>
  • To: April Sampson-Kelly <askpv@ozemail.com.au>
  • Subject: Re: wealth and community
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 1996 20:55:14 -0700 (PDT)

> Given that much of the global stressed are linked to inequal
> distribution of wealth, our businesses must be designed to be accountable.
> What alternatives are there to sustain the business except planning for
> growth. How can we gently shift the patterns of greed?

April,
I don't think there is a gentle way to 'shift the patterns of
greed', assuming you are talking about the distribution of wealth within
the community. Distribute the net profits equally. No one is an employee,
everyone is a stakeholder. That has an amazing way of 'leveling the
playing field' of class differences created by hierarchies of authority
and wealth. Rotate tasks so everyone learns how to do everything and no
one is excluded from doing the yucky stuff as well as the pleasant work.
As far as the people who made the initial start up investment, the
entire community could create and agree upon a payment plan so that over
time, and according to the amount of profit, the initial investor could
be repaid. For instance, if the number of people in the community is 10,
including the initial investor, the net profits could be divided into 11
shares so the 11th share would be a payment against the investment amount.
The person who invested the start up cash would get their own share for
their work and one extra share as a payment against the investment.
That's the way I see it.
Danielle

  • wealth and community, April Sampson-Kelly, 04/07/1996
    • Re: wealth and community, Danielle Hyatt, 04/08/1996