permaculture - Re: Intro, volume, and natural farming

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Andy Clark, SAN Coordinator" <san@nal.usda.gov>
  • To: "Vasilakes, Neil (MN10)" <Neil.Vasilakes@HBC.honeywell.com>
  • Cc: permaculture-mg <permaculture-mg@amani.ces.ncsu.edu>, Mary Gold <mgold@nal.usda.gov>, Alternate Farming Systems Info Center <afsic@nal.usda.gov>, Jane Gates <jgates@nal.usda.gov>
  • Subject: Re: Intro, volume, and natural farming
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 16:23:38 -0500 (EST)

Hi, Neal.

I'm basically a lurker on the permaculture list, but I'm in charge of a
very active list (sanet-mg) for sustainable agriculture.

The Sustainable Agriculture Network publishes a "Sustainable Agriculture
Directory of Expertise, with about 1000 organizations and individuals
with specific expertise in sustainable ag, including organic and tillage
and weed control. The current 3rd Edition just came out. I'll send
ordering information in the next message (about SAN publications). It,
and other SAN publications are also available on diskette in an easily
searchable format. I just spent about 2 minutes searching with the key
words organic, tillage weed. I'll attach two examples of hits, or people
who have agreed to be contacted about their expertise.

I'll be glad to help you or anyone on the list subscribe to sanet-mg, or
to access our publications by gopher or (coming soon), the WWW. I'm also
going to send information about contacting the Alternative Farming
Systems Information Center (AFSIC), which maintains a lot of information.

Hope this helps.

Andy Clark
SAN Coordinator
c/o AFSIC, Room 304
National Agricultural Library
10301 Baltimore Ave.
Beltsville, MD 20705-2351
PH: 301-504-6425
FAX: 301-504-6409
san@nal.usda.gov

FROM SAN's Directory of Expertise

Ref#: 170 Individual Cat: 00148

Doug Waugh
Waugh-Sum Acres
1636 West Co Rd 8
Berthoud, CO 80513

Telephone:(303)532-2590

Preferred method of contact: Contact anytime via mail or
telephone.

Sust. Agric. Roles: Full - Time Farmer / Rancher

Major Areas of Sust. Agric. Expertise: Organic Production,
Livestock Production, Tillage

Primary crop and livestock enterprises: vegetables, small fruits,
feedgrains, cover crops, beef cattle

Description of Sustainable Agriculture work: All we grow is
certified organic so we can raise organic beef along with our
strawberries, raspberries, and a wide variety of vegetables, and
edible beans. Along w/the corn & alfalfa for our feeders, we
grow a cover crop pasture for the cow/calf herd. We sell a
supply of natural fertilizers and biological controls for the
local organic growers & homeowners. We do farm shows on the
'Bezzerides' in-the-row weeder & the Yeoman Keyline Plow. This
exposes mainline farmers to some of the tools for transition into
more sust. ag methods. We have assisted the state univ.
integrate into their research program comparisons on methods for
weed control w/o herbicides versus

Information resources available: We have literature sheets &
field days on the Yoeman Keyline Conservation Tillage Plow and
the Bezzerides in-the-row weeders attached to a floating gang
cultivator. We coordinate bulk/bag orders of softrock phosphate
and Planters II trace mineral fertilizers. We sell composted
dairy manure, and liquid fish/kelp, and Nitron enzyme soil
conditioner.

The SAN Directory of Expertise

Ref#: 560 Individual Cat: 00437

Les & Debbie Guile
Walnut Grove Farm
189 Rt. 519
Newton, NJ 07860

Telephone:(201)383-5029

Contact People: Jennifer Morgan

Preferred method of contact: I prefer to be contacted by phone
from 8 a.m. to noon or after 6 p.m. at (201)383-5029.

Sust. Agric. Roles: Part - Time Farmer / Rancher

Major Areas of Sust. Agric. Expertise: Organic Production,
Horticultural Crop Production, Vegetable, Marketing

Primary crop and livestock enterprises: vegetables, Christmas
trees, cut flowers, onions and related, herbs

Description of Sustainable Agriculture work: I am currently
opening up new acreage to experimental cover cropping, nutrient
replacement and incursive weed control trials. I have been
growing a market-garden organically on 2 acres of successive
plantings of various vegetable families for 8-10 years. The soil
health, tilth and friability have been improved using macrobiotic
principles in feeding the soil and its organisms. I am
self-certified.

Land Description: My farm is located in rural Sussex County, New
Jersey, on 10 acres. One-third of it is woodland; two-thirds is a
flat field of clay-loam soil. All of it is under cultivation,
except my home and barn. I grow 3,000 to 4,000 pine spruce for
Christmas tree sales. I have a black walnut grove with a
one-fourth acre pond. My fields are planted in vegetable crops
and flowers for cutting. Tillage equipment includes rototillers,
a 9N Ford tractor, a two-row cultivator, a planter and a plow.