permaculture - LETS/Perma/CSA/marketing

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Stephen Demeulenaere <ut034@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>
  • To: permaculture-mg@amani.ces.ncsu.edu
  • Subject: LETS/Perma/CSA/marketing
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 16:51:47 -0800 (PST)

Hello,

Is there anyone on this list working with a LETS (Local Exchange
Trading System) organization which is running a Food LETS as part of its
multiLETS or LETSreg structures?
In Victoria, British Columbia, the Lifecycles Community Gardening
network and the Victoria LETS Registry are piloting such a project this
year.
At base level, there will be a shared backyards network with a
Barter System between those people. At the next level, there will be
trading through the Food LETSystem of the LETS Registry. The LETS
currencies will be used to establish a direct market for organic
farm-grown produce, excess backyard produce, CSA programs, Good Food Box
programs, labour programs and Public Market.
We've found that farmers generally don't like the numbers or
marketing end of what they do, they also have difficulty retaining
labour, and they compete with hobbyist growers and slave labour in
markets and grocery stores.
If the public were willing to pay 10-15% of their purchase from a
farmer in Green Dollars, our internal currency, the farmer could use the
Green to pay labourers who could spend the Green within the system, to
buy bulk food, services, goods, etc. We're starting to develop community
support cycles for farms in our local region.
If you're interested in what we're doing, and want to keep in
touch, contact Lifecycles at Lifecycles@pinc.com or Victoria LETS at
viclets@islandnet.com or xx139@freenet.victoria.bc.ca.
Your assistance is appreciated.

Stephen DeMeulenaere
administrator
Victoria LETS Registry

  • LETS/Perma/CSA/marketing, Stephen Demeulenaere, 01/29/1996