permaculture - If you're not part of the solution (was PERMACULTURE WEBSPACE )

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: ken@actech.com (Ken McKinney)
  • To: garden@csf.colorado.edu, permaculture-mg@amani.ces.ncsu.edu, rrfreifelder@ucdavis.edu
  • Subject: If you're not part of the solution (was PERMACULTURE WEBSPACE )
  • Date: Wed, 18 Oct 95 10:20:32 -0400

> Rachel Frifelder said
> Second, why do you ascribe the saying "If you're not part of the
> solution, you're part of the problem" to Mollison? I think it massively
> predates his debut in the public eye.
>
> Mike Smith said..
> In relation to me ascribing the quote to Bill Mollison, my only defense is
> that I am not infalibile (far from it). In the pre-Internet environment
> where many of us come from there is often a "chinese whispers" syndrome.
> I have heard so many other people ascribe the quote to Bill that I came to
> believe it and start to propagate it. I will, in future, paraphrase the
> message in the quote and attribute it to myself unless I can find the
> correct
> person to attribute it to (if you know, that would be a great help). After
> all it is the message in the quote that is the most important thing; the
> sense that abdicating your responsibility to sustain the world's environment
> is tantamount to complicity in the destruction of our planet.

If memory serves the quote is correctly ascribed to Eldridge Cleaver. It
certianly dates to somtime late in the 1960's.

Ken McKinney | Systems Analyst
AC Technology, Inc. | E-Mail Address: ken@actech.com
31 Dutch Mill Road |
Ithaca, New York 14850 USA | Phone (607)257-4280 Fax 257-6355

  • If you're not part of the solution (was PERMACULTURE WEBSPACE ), Ken McKinney, 10/18/1995