permaculture - Re: Dowsing (was Re: Real people of the earth)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jeff Jacobsen <jjj@otter.wsipc.wednet.edu>
  • To: Don Bowen <c_dbowen@qualcomm.com>
  • Cc: permaculture-mg@amani.ces.ncsu.edu
  • Subject: Re: Dowsing (was Re: Real people of the earth)
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 1995 12:53:25 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Don,

A couple more questions ...

We have upland willows (I forget their exact name) on the property.
Should I use a branch from one of them or find a weeping willow which I
know really stays close to water?

It sure would be nice if I could find an underground stream or perched
aquafer and tap into that without going too deep. According to plant
indicators we should have water showing up within fifteen feet (various
reeds, the willows, etc.) The question is how to tap it.

Don, you mentioned that you helped with drilling wells. What kind of
rigs? Bringing in a driller is an expensive operation and in my situation
I don't think it would get me the best water. They tend to be getting the
water from 90ft or more and in all cases people are having to add
expensive filters to get rid of iron, sulfur, etc. Given the lay of our
land I suspect I should be able to tab into a source of faster moving
water at about 15 ft or so. Once I've located a good spot for
digging/drilling the question is one of what are my options; dig it by
hand, a driven well, get a small drilling rig, etc. So far the most
appealing idea is to go into the side of the hill such that the water
would flow out on its own. Not sure how this is done, providing I can
find the right location.

By the way, I have another option. We have a seep near the bottom of our
property. One hydrolgist suggest we do a collection gallery at this
point. But this is such a nice potential pond location that I'm not
inclined to tie it up to collect our drinking water. It also requires
that I pump the water 100 feet uphill to our collection area where it
will eventually gravity feed to house location. This source would also
need filtering to make it drinkable since it is seeping out from only a
few feet underground (some of our clay layers at work). If only I could
map the underground clay layers ...

Open to ideas ... We are just novice farmers trying to figure out
how to make a living off our 12 acres without ruining it and in
particular how to get a good quantity of good water.

Thanks

Jeff Jacobsen jjj@otter.wsipc.wednet.edu

3~>