permaculture - Intentional Prairies (fwd)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <london@calypso-2.oit.unc.edu>
  • To: permaculture-mg@ces.ncsu.edu
  • Subject: Intentional Prairies (fwd)
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 14:16:02 -0500 (EST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 1995 07:34:27 -0800
>From: Tom Hodges (moderated newsgroup) <sustag@BETA.TRICITY.WSU.EDU>
To: Multiple recipients of list SUSTAG-L
<SUSTAG-L%WSUVM1.BITNET@cmsa.Berkeley.EDU>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 95 08:02:30 CST
>From: Frank Kutka <fkutka@sage.nrri.umn.edu>
To: sustag@beta.tricity.wsu.edu
Subject: Intentional Prairies

Greetings all!

I am one of the SA folks who believes that agriculture can only be truly
sustainable within the context of healthy land as a whole (see Aldo
Leopold's writings). Because of this "bias" and the gradual diminishment
of our forests in the Midwest due to "sustainable forestry" (continued wood
output accompanied by reductions in species diversity and soil condition),
last year at this time I floated the idea of making paper from prairie
plants. The prairie region of the US (and Europe also?) is largely in
ruins. If useable products could be made from restored prairies we could
improve the environment in the prairie regions, preserve more forests, and
still meet fiber needs (or more properly, desires). Here are a few more
thoughts for possible products from intentional prairies.

Grains: this was originally proposed by another of my heroes, Wes Jackson
of the Land Institute in Salina, KS. I believe that they are coming along
in developing their perennial grain prairie but are under funded (though
there seems to be plenty of $$ in the world to study another Monsanto or
Dow product isn't there)

Building products: fiber boards and straw bale construction, insulation

Silage: this would require some research and careful timing, but it seems
reasonable to assume that 2-4 tons per acre of high quality silage could be
chopped off in a once per annum harvest. This would be great considering
no replanting and no soil erosion!

Others?

I am looking for constructive comments and discussion. There are many
issues involved here and this could be fun and possibly useful in the long
run. Also, are there any other researchers out there who see worthwhile
possibilities in this approach? Lets talk!

Peace,

Frank J. Kutka, part-time Junior Scientist and farmer

(218) 720-4262 fkutka@sage.nrri.umn.edu

University of Minnesota
Natural Resources Research Institue
5013 Miller Trunk Highway
Duluth MN 55811
USA

  • Intentional Prairies (fwd), Lawrence F. London, Jr., 01/26/1995