permaculture - wood chip-digesting fungi and ground nuts

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jbgFC@hamp.hampshire.edu (Joel B Gruver)
  • Subject: wood chip-digesting fungi and ground nuts
  • Date: 28 Nov 1994 01:05:16 -0000

I have 2 info requests.
First, I have access to large volumes of roughly
chipped hardwood limbs with a small amount of foliage and coniferous
limbs mixed in. (These materials were chipped by a road maintenance crew.)
Black cherry is probably the dominant hardwood constituent.
I am looking for a method of accelerating the decomposition of
these materials so that I can use them as a soil amendment. I am
wondering if there is a species of fungi that I can innoculate or
encourage to accelerate the break down of such high lignin materials.
Where can I find good information on the biochemistry of fungal digestion of
high ligno-cellulosic materials ? Is there an edible species of mushroom
that I can culture on this material ?

Where can I find information on the cultivation of the wild edible
plant (Apios americana, common name: ground nut) ? Who is researching the
economic potential of this plant ? Where can I obtain seeds, cuttings... of
groundnuts selected for desirable traits ?

Joel Gruver
Hampshire College Farm Center
(413) 582-5348
jgruver@hamp.hampshire.edu

  • wood chip-digesting fungi and ground nuts, Joel B Gruver, 11/27/1994