permaculture - Re: Interactive Projects/information/guilds database --+-- Idea for -- getting the DB effort off the ground quickly

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: Interactive Projects/information/guilds database --+-- Idea for -- getting the DB effort off the ground quickly
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 16:03:47 -0500

On Fri, 21 Dec 2001 10:23:20 -1000, "Elijah Smith"
<elijah@hilobay.com> wrote:

>I think we're all sorta busy til January - I know I am - having those
>mailing lists set up will be great, though.

They have been created, as of 1 hour ago but I need to configure them
before we can use them.

pcplantdb@ general
pcplantdb-tech@ technical
pcplantdb-data@ information

>mEIKAL, in response to your comments about getting something up and interns
>entering data - my concern is this (and this is sorta something John said
>earlier):
>
> Without getting a clear idea of all the data we'll want to track, and how
>it's organized, it will be almost as big a deal to apply "fixes" to the data
>down the road as it will be to enter it in the first place. An example:
>say, for instance, that a big part of the database has to do with plants :).
>Say, we define a plant as having:
>
> one or more common names
> a latin name (plus variations, synonyms, etc)
> annual or perrenial
> hardiness zone
> comments
>
> Ok, your busy interns get to work and enter 500 records. Then, someone
>says something that makes us realize we need to enter what sort of plant
>this is: groundcover, bush, small tree, big tree, vine, etc. That means 500
>records need to be individually revisited and updated... which is a lot
>slower than involving that data entry in the initial go-through. And that's
>a simple example. I've seen much, much worse... and it's no fun for anyone.
>
> That's why design is as big a deal with databases as it in permaculture -
>if you just get a bunch of interns out there, digging swales, installing
>ponds, and planting trees, you might not get a terribly functional system.

<>
> So I'd like to push for spending January, at least, defining the major uses
>of this system, what it does, how it operates, etc. Maybe at that point we

This is a very good idea; let's start this way.

>could "version" it out - and version 1 could be just the plant area, and we
>could pin the data structure down, and have a simple data input screen by
>the end of March when your interns arrive. Or something like that? Anyone
>else?

I hope we will be that far along by then.
<>

> Also - re: "tying into" the pfaf and ethnobotany databases: it would be
>very cool.

I have found out from a PHP programmer/DB manager at ibiblio that this
very front end can be done with PHP.

>My only concerns are 1) bandwidth, if our server is retrieving

Bandwidth is not a problem at ibiblio, which is a mirror site for
PFAF.

>data from their servers to return to our clients, and 2) copyrights...
>let's explore that further.

Yes, let's explore that one further :-) We need to do that one right
from the outset. The data in my website is informally copyrighted
by virture of the fact that the bulk of it was posted to email lists
and usenet newsgroups. I would/could never use any of this for
financial gain but do feel free to make it available on demand from a
free public website - maybe this could apply to our use of this and
similar material that we glean from hither and yon.

>Lawrence, John, mEIKAL - I'd love to hear more about your backgrounds when
>it comes to this sort of thing. John, you mentioned some QA/Test

I have no experience with anything to do with databases but am willing
to learn and have bought a small library's worth of books on the
subject to help me with this project over the long haul.

>experience, which is really my weak point... though I'm in complete
>agreement with you when it comes to "developer interfaces"... We need to
>make this thing super-usable, first.

I agree that it needs to be user friendly; without users visiting and
spending time there and finding the experience rewarding it will
serve only a small number of folks.