permaculture - Re: Zone 6 and zones in general

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: Zone 6 and zones in general
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 08:28:19 -0500

On Fri, 18 Mar 2000 11:02:46 GMT, pfaf@scs.leeds.ac.uk wrote:

> Such a stratergy is dangerious on a number of counts:
>it creates an arcane language for permaculture praticioners making
>permaculture seem more misterious to outsiders than it really is;
>it adds a bit of a hippy dimension to permaculture - the real strength
>of permaculture is a gradening system adding this additional language
>destracts from the real core of permaculture; it oversimplifies
>the interaction of the garden with the interiour and external worlds;
>it encourages the idea of permaculture as a universal system when
>there are many much better models out there already.
>
> So whats so good about the labels Zone 0, 00 and 6 when there
>are perfectly adaquete names out there allready.

Maybe this concept should not have PC _zone_ labelling but could
simply be included as formalized concept that has over time become
familiar and useful to many who practice permaculture and to many who
do not know of permaculture's existence. I like the idea of "Zone 6"
or whatever you want to call it being a human consciousness edge zone,
a concept not too unlike the aborigine's Dreamtime - a spiritual
resource they, and probably many others, draw upon daily for
inspiration, guidance and enlightenment.

"The goal of life is living in agreement with nature."
---Zeno (335-263 B.C.)

'Every day the intelligent person learns something new, but every day
the wise person gives up some certainty' The Buddha.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
~Chinese Proverb

Buddha said "When you stop believing in me, you will become me"

Albert Einstein:
-----------------------
- "Imagination is more important than knowledge."
- "The only real valuable thing is intuition."
- "The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its
own reason for existing."

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm
intergarden.com InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden InterGarden
metalab.unc.edu/permaculture PermaSphere
metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO
lflondon@mindspring.com london@metalab.unc.edu