percy-l - Re: [[percy-l] ] Is Percy Toole?

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: hughesl6363 AT aol.com
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [[percy-l] ] Is Percy Toole?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 22:32:47 +0000 (UTC)

I'd love to hear the speaker's argument. I think Percy's sense of humor is often overlooked. He has such a playful, facetious attitude. Who hasn't laughed out loud at places in Love in the Ruins? When Conde Nast Traveler asked him to write a piece on Southern cuisine, he didn’t wax poetic about New Orleans restaurants; instead, he couldn’t resist the opportunity to tell them about his favorite eatery, the Covington-area Waffle House.

I discovered an extended case of his playfulness some years back when I began to see in The Moviegoer many references to, of all things, The Great Gatsby, despite his frequent remarks about his influences being mainly European. (Check out the Mississippi Quarterly, Vol. 73, No. 4. Please!)

I thought about chasing down the possibility Percy may have written Toole’s masterpiece myself, but I ran into skeptics, but consider the similarity of these two images:

“There came Perry [Como], seventy years young and snowy-thatched but hale as old Saint Nick himself, still wearing his open cardigan, color off a bit, face orange, lips violet, but all in good 3-D.”—Love in the Ruins, p. 97.

“ ’Perry Como’s face is all green,’ Mrs. Levy said with great hostility. ‘He looks like a corpse. You’d better take this set back to the shop.’ “—A Confederacy of Dunces, p. 82.

Percy couldn’t have been alluding to Toole, since Love in the Ruins was published before he ever saw Toole’s book. It just seems to me that such oddly specific references have to be more than coincidental.

It’s not really hard to imagine the writer who sent Colonel Ringo’s sidekick flying off that bridge astride his Harley-Davidson in Love in the Ruins might have conjured up the comical antics of Ignatius Reilly.

--Leonard Hughes
Hyattsville, MD