percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Is Walker Percy a Southern writer? FOR TOM GOLLIER (OFF LIST)

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: WILLIAM E LEWIS <welewis AT wisc.edu>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Is Walker Percy a Southern writer? FOR TOM GOLLIER (OFF LIST)
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2023 18:11:46 +0000

Tom,

I think you nailed it with this observation:

"It simply learns and statistically assesses what has been said about things in its training texts. It is the epitome of what goes wrong with our use of symbols when they zip around increasingly oblivious to the actual things they are ostensibly talking about."

I tend to think that what the AI/ML tool (ChatGPT in this case) does is use a very large number of dyadic operations to achieve the illusion of a triad. It responds to a very complex signal (that can be decomposed into simpler signals, etc) via the same stimulus/response mechanism that causes a dog to come when his/her name is called. That's not to say that the illusion isn't powerful. It is. And it (and others) will likely only get increasingly "lifelike" in the future, ushering in an age of hyperreal nightmares that we're only beginning to appreciate the dimension of.

cheers,
Will