percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Percy & Camus?

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Doug Brown <wply1223 AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Percy & Camus?
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 14:28:30 -0400

Michael,

Percy begins this 1977 NYT interview (promoting Lancelot) by saying Camus was more of an influence on him than Faulkner. Interesting.

Doug Brown

https://www.nytimes.com/1977/02/20/archives/a-talk-with-walker-percy-walker-percy.html

On Sun, May 15, 2022 at 1:14 PM RHONDA MCDONNELL <rhonda_mcdonnell AT msn.com> wrote:
Oh yes! Camus was definitely an influence on Percy, as was existentialism in general. I would argue that Marcel and Heidegger were greater influences and that in a sense his dialectic with Sartre was even a more powerful force than Camus. On the other hand, Camus’s argument on suicide had a profound impact on Percy’s life. Not just his thought or his fiction, but how he managed to continue to live, to endure Wednesday afternoons, and to rise about the death-longing that had plagued his family. Thinking about it more fully, I recant the earlier statement which placed other existentialists ahead of Camus. I seem to remember The Fall being an influence on Lancelot along with Dostoyevsky’s Notes from the Underground

Thanks for the prompt that allowed for a good mental romp through lots of Percy related things!

Rhonda

Sent from my iPhone