percy-l - [percy-l] A place, or not a place

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Stephen Holmgren <stephenholmgren AT me.com>
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [percy-l] A place, or not a place
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 17:53:49 -0500

I/we have retired back to St Francisville, familiar to Walker Percy Weekend fans, and on the radar screen of Percy readers, especially with respect to Thanatos.

Here is an interesting paradox ~ to folks in Baton Rouge and New Orleans, St Francisville and West Feliciana Parish are viewed not so much in the sense of being “a place,” but more as a region that is historically interesting, and quaint, and an area to which one might make a day trip to see some places of interest and or to have a nice meal. Yet, to those who live around here, this parish and its families and history constitute “a place” in a very significant sense for those who live and work here.

This constitutes a paradox about which I cannot image Percy was unaware, especially still having distant cousins in the parish who bear his family name, or who are yet related to him.

  • [percy-l] A place, or not a place, Stephen Holmgren, 03/19/2022