percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Percy-L Digest, Vol 162, Issue 1

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Thomas Gollier <tgollier AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Percy-L Digest, Vol 162, Issue 1
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2020 07:15:04 -0700

Mike and Bob,

I don't disagree with you that Lance's is not a Catholic kind of confession. He never shows any remorse or
repentance for murdering his wife and several others, and hence there could be no absolution. What's more, if we
go along with the idea that he killed himself in the explosion, then we definitely have a "knight mired in his sin,
unable to respond to the presence of the Blessed Sacrament." Nevertheless, Lance is released from wherever it
is that this novel is taking place.

When it comes to Percival and Anna, who are also being released, there are no confessions, Catholic or otherwise.
Percival seems to come to an understanding, via Lance's arguments against the Church but also, I think, in
recognizing the impossibility Lance faces with regard to Church doctrine, the importance of his listening to Lance's
recounting on a personal level. He has resolved to pursue his religion on the more personal level of a local priest.
And Anna, who through Lance's interventions, resolves to rejoin the community of human interactions on her own
terms. None of these alternatives involves a "confession" per se, but all involve human intercourse that attains
some kind of understanding resulting in their release and a chance to re-start their lives on a firmer basis.

My argument is that Percy is presenting these alternatives, not for us to choose and defend the right one, but
rather to give us a glimpse of an all but imperceptible and unnameable universal that underlies or animates them
all, including the traditional Catholic alternative. He propels us to imagine other alternatives to psychiatrists
and parole boards rather than priests, to parents, lovers, and friends, to recountings of all sorts that lead to
understanding the causes and consequences of where we're at, so we can find a release from that place and restart
our lives. These alternatives are all better or worse, relevant or irrelevant for various situations, but there is a
universal, inherent in all of them and traversing all situations, that is the key, the "holy grail" of these "searches."

At this point, though, I have to admit I don't have much concern for what Percy himself thought about all this. I run
into the same problem with Peirce scholars. It reminds me of a cartoon with two polar bears standing outside an
igloo and the one saying: "That's just the way I like them, crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside." The
crunchy discussions for me, like the novel itself, are just a tasty way to get at what's chewy on the inside.

Thanks again,
Tom