percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Happiness and the Meaning of Life

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "janetcantor37 AT yahoo.com" <janetcantor37 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Happiness and the Meaning of Life
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2020 01:48:07 +0000 (UTC)

I must confess I only listened to the fifth lesson about The Moviegoer. Professor Frey was exquisite in her reading of the novel.

I have always wondered why I love Percy and have never figured it out.
I am not Catholic, Southern, able to understand philosophy, or filled with malaise.  Yet there is something speaking directly to me in his novels. And I love his humor.

The only thing in this whole presentation that gave me pause in lesson five is the way Binx's aunt is described. To me she is one aspect of life that must make up the whole of a person for him to be an integrated soul.

So many who read Percy, particularly those who are attracted to the Christian side of him, dismiss his aunt. I did not. Conscience comes from our not wanting to often G-d, yes, but it also comes from knowing right from wrong and not wanting to offend those who have our best interests at heart.

I was astounded by the beautiful way the professor's words here so aptly described the novel.

Thank you for this.

Janet Cantor