percy-l - [percy-l] Percy and O'Connor- Wise Blood

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Ernest Hutton <ehutton AT huttonassociates.com>
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [percy-l] Percy and O'Connor- Wise Blood
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2020 17:04:53 -0400

The list serve from time to time has alluded to the friendship and mutual admiration of Walker Percy and Flannery O’Connor( Paul Elie has written a very interesting book, The Life You Save May Be Your Own, on the interrelationship of four Catholic writers— Percy and O'Connor plus Dorothy Day and Thomas Merton).

Readers may be interested in the attached film column I wrote for the Independent/ Dan’s Media (on the East End of Long Island) on O'Connor’s Wise Blood and the John Huston film made from it.

Rereading the book and watching Brad Dourif as the obsessed but questioning Hazel Motes, I can’t help but think of Binx Bolling’s less radical, yet oddly parallel, search for meaning.

Ernie Hutton

Ernest Watson Hutton Jr.
FAICP Assoc AIA
Hutton Associates Inc/
Planning Interaction
Westhampton/ New York
17 Woodbridge Lane, Quiogue
Westhampton Beach NY 11978 917.836.7902 cell/ office

  • [percy-l] Percy and O'Connor- Wise Blood, Ernest Hutton, 07/08/2020