percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Walker Percy's The Moviegoer, Seen Again by Paul Elie (Podcast)

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Charles Lowry <lowry.charles AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Walker Percy's The Moviegoer, Seen Again by Paul Elie (Podcast)
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2020 13:34:40 -0500

I both envy and admire the earlier contributions to this thread, since I have no talent for the lyrical and no capacity for the scholarly, but I offer a tidbit.  I think Jay Tolson, from his masterful biography of Percy, might have a contribution to make here.  He offers an interesting slant on Paul Elie's perspective: "Artist though he was, Percy became and remained a moralist who saw the end of art not in formal perfection but in the adequacy of its gesturing toward the truth that would make him free."  Tolson offers us an important piece of context on truth and freedom by reminding us of Pascal's observation that the source of all human misery is the inability to sit alone and content in one's own room.  Binx embraces what he knows will be this misery, because he has figured out that this is also the only path that leads to even the possibility of joy and authenticity.

     "What do you plan to do?"

     I shrug. There is only one thing I can do: listen to people, see how they stick themselves
     into the world, hand them along a ways in their dark journey and be handed along, and for
     good and selfish reasons......

Along the way, though, he has picked up a thing or two, as eloquently summarized by an anonymous Knopf copywriter: "Binx's rediscovery of the strengths of his tradition coincides with his new-found capacity to encounter and love Kate as a person in her own right."  Contrary to Pascal's advice, Binx has left his room, has transformed himself from observer to actor, has stuck himself into the world.  It is not always easy, and the results are unpredictable, but for Binx it is a very humanizing process.  As an example, simply compare the tenor of Binx's early conversations with Aunt Emily to his conversation with her after his return from Chicago.  It is as straightforward as the transition from certitude to struggle.  Percy does a masterful job in taking us along to observe Binx's journey.  And that is why I love The Moviegoer.

Chuck Lowry
Brooklyn, New York