percy-l - [percy-l] A comment on Here’s to Unsuicide: An Interview with Richard Powers - Los Angeles Review of Books

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: honeyjbc1 <honeyjbc AT gmail.com>
  • To: percy lists <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [percy-l] A comment on Here’s to Unsuicide: An Interview with Richard Powers - Los Angeles Review of Books
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 22:25:59 -0500

This may be a repeat. I had trouble sending this earlier. I hope it works now.

Date: Jan 15, 2019 5:38 PM
To: janet cantor <honeyjbc AT gmail.com>

Uh oh.
A dissenter.

 I love animals, trees, all of G-d's creations.
 But I look at our story.
 It's all there in the Bible.
In six days and in a very specific order G-d created it all.
The trees and animals were here when at last G-d created man.
It was all there for us. We were to be those closest to the top.

 And I see no reason to believe Percy would want to change the order of Dominion as G-d designed it all.

I respect and stand in awe of the Redwoods and certainly would never want man to exploit them into extinction.

Balance in nature as in all things matters and man with his brain and experience has always to be mindful of balance in all things.

 But I am not ready to put myself second to birds trees or even gorillas.

 Ergo I dissent from the main idea of this beautifully written article.

 G-d did not create a perfect universe. He obviously wanted us to sort through and deal with the chaos.

Janet Cantor