percy-l - [percy-l] A long but essential Percy interview - a lot of it pertinent to our discussion - Janet Cantor

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "honeyjbc1 ." <honeyjbc AT gmail.com>
  • To: percy lists <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [percy-l] A long but essential Percy interview - a lot of it pertinent to our discussion - Janet Cantor
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 00:46:35 -0400

One paragraph of this article is particularly worth reading now:

The Second Coming was a sure-enough love story—a genre I would ordinarily steer clear of. What made it possible was the, to me, appealing notion of the encounter of Allie and Will, like the crossing of two lines on a graph, one going up, and other down: the man who has “succeeded” in life, made it, has the best of worlds, and yet falls down in sand traps on the golf course, gazes at clouds and is haunted by memory, is in fact in despair; the girl, a total “failure,” a schizophrenic who has flunked life, as she puts it, yet who despite all sees the world afresh and full of hope. It was the paradox of it that interested me. What happens when he meets her? What is the effect on his ghostlike consciousness of her strange, yet prescient, schizophrenic speech?

Paris Review - The Art of Fiction No. 97, Walker Percy

www.theparisreview.org/interviews/.../the-art-of-fiction-no-97-walke...

  • [percy-l] A long but essential Percy interview - a lot of it pertinent to our discussion - Janet Cantor, honeyjbc1 ., 09/14/2016