percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Fwd: the slow read of The Second Coming

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: RHONDA MCDONNELL <rhonda_mcdonnell AT msn.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Fwd: the slow read of The Second Coming
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2016 09:03:06 +0000

I do believe, Janet, that you are serving as our soul during this distracted and busy season. Bless you!

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 10, 2016, at 1:54 AM, honeyjbc1 . <honeyjbc AT gmail.com> wrote:

Dear David,
So far we have attempted the slow read in the summer.

I love Milan Kundera. His Book of Laughter and Forgetting  should be required reading these days. His The Joke also is relevance, inc.
He tackles lots of my perspectives.
De Lillo does not speak to me. I know that is a minority voice these days. He seems to be the flavor of the times.
Percy is the most enduring for me.

Rhonda said, "...I've read perceptive analysis on ISIS, for instance, that indicates that the leaders are not believers so much as they recognize that faith can become a powerful weapon when wielded by leaders, and that weapon can be used for evil as well as righteousness. Certainly it's a lesson history has shown us time and again... "

Very true, Rhonda. I think Percy enjoys poking fun at phony faith. Almost as much as he enjoys bringing his readers home to faith.
Janet

I strikes me funny that I, an ordinary reader, have been the analyzer in chief this time. There are so many of you who have more important things to say and I miss you. But thank you Rhonda and David and Jim and Nancy. Very much appreciated.