percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Comments on the first assigned reading of The Second Coming

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Jim Forest <jhforest AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Comments on the first assigned reading of The Second Coming
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 22:09:50 +0200

Janet wrote:

>> Now we branch out to the south and Churches. More of this to come surely.

Will (Percy) has lots to say about churches and Christians -- this is one of the book’s major topics. Page 12: Will “lived in the most Christian nation in the world, the USA, in the most Christian part of the nation…” Much more coming re Christians in later chapters. Yet, in contrast to a cat, which in 100 percent itself, both the Christians and the non-Christians are two percent themselves. Will Barrett too until grazed by the wakeup call of a bullet. Page 18: “It takes a gunshot to restore a man to himself.”

Then, as Janet points out, Will is haunted/obsessed with the Jews and his sense they have all packed their bags and moved to Israel. Some kind of apocalyptic sign? “Who said we could get along without the Jews?” (Page 19)  One wonders what Jewish presence/absence meant not just to Will but to Percy?

Jim

* * *