percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Terrence Malick and Percy - Review Essay of the film "Knight of Cups and the Spirituality of Sleaze" (Bret McCracken)

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Marc Porter <MPorter AT fslegal.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and PhilosophicalDiscussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>, "wppdirector AT gmail.com" <wppdirector AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Terrence Malick and Percy - Review Essay of the film "Knight of Cups and the Spirituality of Sleaze" (Bret McCracken)
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 16:21:53 -0600

To Percy Bloggers:

Malick’s portrayal of women in Knight is controversial for good reason. His notorious tendencies to relegate women in his films to whispering waifs, cartwheeling pixies, and ethereal angel-muses are taken to the extreme in Knight. Frequently nude or scantily clad, the impressive roster of actresses in Knight function as little more than fragile beauties, icons of seduction and HD eye candy (with the possible exception of Cate Blanchett, whose short time on screen is more substantive than the rest).

As for this movie that portrays flagrant nudity, I say whatever potential artistic good is far outweighed by the harm that it causes.  I am sure that Percy would not have approved of this movie.  In today’s society, we have to guard our eyes and hearts.  Only the pure of heart shall see God.

I leave this quote:

The Way #134, Holy Purity

‘The flesh though dressed in silk’… This is my only comment when I see you waver before the temptation that hides its impurity under pretexts of art, of science…, of charity!

This is my only comment set in the words of an old proverb: ‘The flesh is flesh though dressed in silk.’  St. Josemaria Escriva

Marc S. Porter

Figliulo & Silverman PC

10 South LaSalle Street-Suite 3600

Chicago, Illinois 60603

Direct Dial: 312-251-5272

Fax: 312-251-4610

e-mail: mporter AT fslegal.com

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS EMAIL MESSAGE IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE PERSONAL AND CONFIDENTIAL USE OF THE DESIGNATED RECIPIENT(S) NAMED ABOVE.

This message may be an attorney-client communication, and as such is privileged and confidential.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this document in error, and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message or the taking of any action in reliance on its contents, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone.  Thank you.