percy-l - Re: [percy-l] inquiry P 119 LITR

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "janetcantor37 AT yahoo.com" <janetcantor37 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] inquiry P 119 LITR
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 09:13:13 -0700

I also commented on this paragraph and I think it is important. Percy has a habit of discussing vines invading, birds flying in formations, and negroes secretly having a meeting or some silliness going on in the sex clinic that everyone is taking deadly serious, except the reader, and then he will insert a big idea in the middle of the chaos and go on to more of the chaos.

This paragraph offers a key idea, I think.
It is not the violence that shocks us much as the fact that it came out of a good man. I believe there is an admonition to the reader to please recognize there is a potential for evil in all of us and the only way to keep it at bay is to understand that it is possible so that we can tamp it down. If we assume we could never do bad things, then we are not on our guard to be ready to recognize our potential for evil. That is what I think Percy wants us to understand.

In The Thanatos Syndrome Percy uses Father Smith big time. Father Smith says a line repeatedly, (a variant of an idea from Flannery O'Connor) "All tenderness leads to the gas chambers." This is related to the paragraph you quote, I believe.
Janet Cantor