percy-l - Re: [percy-l] LITR Slow Read - Chapter 1 - "July Fourth"

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Ken Wilson" <kfwacw AT centurylink.net>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] LITR Slow Read - Chapter 1 - "July Fourth"
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 11:32:52 -0400

The liberal housewife, therefore, must "make" the maid sit up front with her.

Well explained, but "make" seems carefully chosen as well. The liberal housewife does not "ask" or "invite" her maid to sit beside her - the maid, after all, might find the invitation discomfiting - but makes her sit there, exercising her will over her maid just as the conservative woman does.

-----Original Message----- From: Karl M. Terrell