percy-l - Re: [percy-l] LITR Slow Read - Chapter 1 - "July Fourth"

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Plemmons, Gregory" <gregory.plemmons AT Vanderbilt.Edu>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] LITR Slow Read - Chapter 1 - "July Fourth"
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 23:38:56 +0000

The beauty of a great novel is that you can never see it for what it is, but only through your peculiar space and time—each and every time you reread it, something else shimmers through. I think I first read Love long before finishing medical school, but I immediately take a liking to meeting Dr. More again and particularly the opening section on this go-round. I trained in pediatrics, so I’m 100% biased and partial to the scene where Tom rescues that shriveled up baby with a “bottle of glucose from a loblolly twig.” It seems that he chooses to do so, however, without any self-awareness, out of charity, as it just seems like the right thing to do (as opposed to making sure everyone knows he invented the lapsometer). Although he tells us all about it, so maybe he’s not that’s humble at all.

I can’t help but imagine that the “dropouts” in 2014 exiled to the island (self-exiled?) would probably be the anti-vaccination/home schooler camp of today--which I find fascinating as this group today is often comprised of both Knotheads and Liberals—some highly educated, some not, some atheists, some fundamentalists—but all of them suspicious of science, and any form of organized or rote education or government involvement. Some of my colleagues refuse to treat these families, with various arguments (public health, lack of trust in the medical profession/system). Like Dr. More, I generally never turn these folks away, and try to understand their viewpoints, my own biases, etc., but the conflict of the rights of the individual vs. the rights of the state seem as central today as ever: how does everybody get along in Paradise Estates? Just fine, it seems, until that measles outbreak….

I still can’t decide if there’s some subtle homophobia going on (the pederasts of New Orleans and Memphis, Homo Hijinks)—or if Dr. More is simply questioning and doubting (perhaps subconsciously) his own sexuality and masculinity. After all, he has three women camped out and waiting at the HoJo, but has his mind set on Hester, near the end of the section (interesting character name choice in itself). It makes me wonder what Walker thought of Uncle Will, and would he have evolved, or supported Uncle Will’s right to marry, in 2014.

Page 32 I laughed out loud at Patient#1. If you can make up a name for a syndrome (or constellation of symptoms), or measure something (in the blood, in the brain, in the spirit) why does it always make the patient feel better? Why is that? (Leslie Jameson, a contemporary essayist, has some thoughts on the matter). Is it simply the tyranny of uncertainty and ambiguity about your condition, or the hope that maybe there are others like you as well, that you are not alone in your suffering? Perhaps a little of both?

Finally, the lapsometer: did anyone else besides me see the parallels between the e-meter of Ron Hubbard and the Scientologists? I think I missed that the first go-round, since I wasn’t aware of Scientology the first time I read this..but obviously Dianetics was already well established by the time the novel was published:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditing_(Scientology)

All best,

Greg Plemmons

p.s. I just want to say I’ve enjoyed hearing the viewpoints of everyone on this listserv over the many years (although I’ve been much more of a lurker for the most part). I’m absolutely delighted to be taking part in this.