percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Percy-L Digest, Vol 96, Issue 4

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Joshua <joshuaemrich AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Percy-L Digest, Vol 96, Issue 4
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 12:32:55 -0700

Emailing is alienating. Emails happe

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 11, 2012, at 10:16 AM, Greg Camacho <gregcamacho8 AT gmail.com> wrote:

Josh, using salty language isn't a sign of being maladjusted. But lashing out at people for slight offenses is easily. Funny that you think email is alienating...

The Search (or journey) is a main theme in all of Percy's fiction, readily acknowledged by most people who take his work seriously. In The Moviegoer, The Last Gentleman and Love In the Ruins, the main characters start at an unresolved state, groping for something that integrates their whole person. Some go on literal journeys to get closer to what they sense is an answer. Ultimately, they end up in families, which, in-line with Percy's Catholic faith, is presented as the context for stable and integrative engagement with the Meaning of Life.

Some people have gone through some hellish experience, and when you find out you think, Oh that's why they act that way. And some people are just immature, unable or unwilling to escape their mutilating habits and projections of inner-ruptures. For certain, I'm often immature, but I don't know you and I wouldn't assume the power to read your soul in any which way.

But if you'd like to really attune your sensibilities to Percy's habit of being, you might try to understand how and why he would often focus on the grotesquely obscene (e.g., his reflection on pornography at airports) and yet be such a sincere gentleman, especially in letters. For that, let me recommend Matthew Lickona's "Surfing With Mel", and perhaps anything/everything written by Heather King.

Best regards,

Greg