percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Percy-L Digest, Vol 97, Issue 2

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Seth C. Holler" <scholler AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Percy-L Digest, Vol 97, Issue 2
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 10:37:48 -0700

Alex: Try consulting the two collections of interviews (Conversations and More Conversations) to see what Percy said about Ellen's role in both novels. He's surprisingly dismissive -- but that may be a function of his response to feminist criticism of his novels, and his pride (justifiable in my opinion) in the character of Allie in The Second Coming. In the interviews you'll also see that he didn't exactly plan the sequels. I haven't read any of the biographies yet, but I'm sure they'd help you think about Percy and doubt.

One more point: Thanatos is such a depressing book. Dr More's religion certainly changes, too, no less than Ellen's.

--
Seth C. Holler, Ph.D. candidate
Graduate Associate in Teaching