percy-l - [percy-l] Delayed gratification

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Wade Riddick <wriddick AT usa.net>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [percy-l] Delayed gratification
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 10:59:10 -0600

I read and reread the book. I led a discussion of it in my book group. My reading was absolutely different from theirs. This stunned me. I found the book funny, endearing and uplifting. They found it depressing and hopeless.

They might. It's a Dear John letter to secular salvation.

You might find _Lost in the Cosmos_ more clarifying or Kierkegaard's discussions on rotation and repetition. If everybody's searching, some are chasing their tails (tales?).

1. Is the book an existential book, contrary to what I thought?

It's been called a kind of Christian existentialism.

4. Is the book meant to be funny and endearing or depressing?

Why pick?

I guess it depends on where you place your faith.

  • [percy-l] Delayed gratification, Wade Riddick, 10/13/2010