percy-l - Re: [percy-l] The Moviegoer/Percy and Electronic Discourse

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: RHONDA MCDONNELL <rhonda_mcdonnell AT msn.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] The Moviegoer/Percy and Electronic Discourse
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 09:27:35 -0700

Title: Message body
That raises an interesting point, Henry. It seems I recall Percy drafting in longhand, though I know that his more "serious" correspondence was typed on a typewriter.  In his attempts to address the phenomena of communication, he adopted some of C.S. Peirce's theory.  So my musings now:  Can we apply Peircean categories of language/communication to computer posts? For instance, if someone posts deep thoughts to a list but no one replies, are they stuck in firstness when they were striving for thirdness?  Are unanswered queries, such as the ones in question regarding MG, a refusal at secondness or would that still be failed thirdness?  Any thoughts?

--Rhonda

"You live in a deranged age, more deranged than usual, because in spite of great scientific and technological advances, man has not the faintest idea of who he is or what he is doing."

                                    Walker Percy