percy-l - [percy-l] Percy, BP, and the Gulf Oil Spill

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Henry Mills <hpmills3 AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: percy-l <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [percy-l] Percy, BP, and the Gulf Oil Spill
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 00:57:31 -0500

Title: Percy, BP, and the Gulf Oil Spill
Percy-L:

We all know what Percy’s thoughts were about the impending, if not exhilarating “doom” of a fast-approaching hurricane on its way to ravage the Gulf Coast. I am wondering what his thoughts might be about the slowly encroaching destruction upon the shores of the Gulf Coast today from millions of gallons of crude oil, including, directly in the path, Louisiana. Presumably, one can reason there are no Hotel “Oil Parties” being planned or staged (though you can imagine parties might include abundant cases of Foster’s Beer “Oil Cans” and frequent and plentiful use of Motor Oil Shots “knocked back neat”...see enticing recipe below).

The potential for “Oil Parties” aside, I wonder how Percy might have used the present human-made catastrophe as an inspired metaphor for representing the darker side of human intentions and fallibilities, if not humanity’s tendency toward its own self-destruction, and the world. For instance, how could such a disaster, had it occurred in Percy’s time, been useful in the imagery of Love in the Ruins, Lancelot, or Thanatos Syndrome? Which might have provided the best forum for that exploration? I would think Percy also would have a very personal response to the crisis as one who lived in Covington, La, and so, perhaps less literarily, might he have something to say, in an essay for example, about the motivations and values of trans-nationals such as BP in their influence and impact upon the destinies of so many as the present situation so amply demonstrates?

Anyone have any responses or thoughts to add to this important current topic, hopefully not “crudely” expressed?

Best,
Henry Mills

Motor Oil Drink Recipe – Motor Oil Shot
1 oz Jagermeister® herbal liqueur