percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Any LOST lovers out there?

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: Robert OConnor <anesthesia240 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Any LOST lovers out there?
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 16:26:24 -0700 (PDT)

Well,just an anecdote, and, unfortunately, I can't answer your question, but when I spotted this photo I was roped into  Lost.  That was sometime in season 4 and I've been watching the series since but never have seen the episode which showed Sawyer reading Lancelot.
If I had to hazard a guess I would say the writers cited Percy because of his overall themes of good, evil, existentialism and generous helpings of symbolism rather then the specific novel. Sawyer's character is a rascally con man with a way with the ladies which wouldn't fit the character in the novel. Hurley's character has logged time in a mental institute but his traits wouldn't fit either. A long shot is the competition between Jack and Sawyer for the hand of Kate mirroring Arthur, Lancelot and Guinevere and the writers plucked the book for the title not the content. As an aside, the only book the show has revealed to me so far is The Invention of Morel by Adolfo Bioy Casares which centers on a remote island with strange goings-on and a murky sense of reality.Bob