percy-l - [percy-l] Walker Percy Remembered

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Jim Forest" <jhforest AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [percy-l] Walker Percy Remembered
  • Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 14:36:39 +0200

For those on this list who don't yet have a copy of "Walker Percy Remembered," let me add one more recommendation to any others that have previously been posted. As you may recall, the book contains a series of interviews made by David Horace Harwell and published by the University of North Carolina Press at Chapel Hill. I got a copy last week thanks to Nikki Barringer mentioning it a while back. Nikki is one of those interviewed, as were Shelby Foote, WP's two brothers, and a dozen other people close to Percy and his family. David Harwell must be a very peasant person to meet with. None of the voices we hear in these pages seem to be glancing at their watches while wondering when this guy will turn off the recorder and leave. If I wasn't hard-pressed for time -- I leave for Germany in a little while to give a talk about Dorothy Day -- I'd be tempted to include a quotation or two from the book, but then maybe that would take away some of the fun of reading the book yourself.

Jim Forest

PS Does anyone on the list have an e-mail note for David Horace Harwell? I'd like to send him a note of apprecaition.

--
Jim & Nancy Forest
Kanisstraat 5

Forest-Flier web site: www.incommunion.org/forest-flier/
Orthodox Peace Fellowship web site: www.incommunion.org
photos: www.flickr.com/photos/jimforest/sets/
recently published: "Silent as a Stone," a children's book about a community of rescuers in Nazi-occupied Paris:
http://incommunion.org/forest-flier/books/silent-as-a-stone-mother-maria-of-paris-and-the-trash-can-rescue/
another new book: "The Road to Emmaus: Pilgrimage as a Way of Life":
http://incommunion.org/forest-flier/books/the-road-to-emmaus-pilgrimage-as-a-way-of-life/

* * *
Nancy and I have been keeping a journal that follows our recent kidney transplant. A blog has
been set up for this purpose -- A Tale of Two Kidneys. See: http://ataleof2kidneys.blogspot.com/
* * *

  • [percy-l] Walker Percy Remembered, Jim Forest, 04/29/2008