percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Hockney and images

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Tommy Armstrong" <tfa AT brickengraver.com>
  • To: "'Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion'" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Hockney and images
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 13:07:29 -0400

I actually took a philosophy course under the head of philosophy at NCSU
that about 15 years ago addressed this very problem. Back then the only way
to really alter an image, a Kodachrome transparency, for example was a
million dollar scanning machine. Today one can achieve those results with a
mere $1000 worth of equipment.

But the thrust of the course was that the camera image was "real" and
carried weight as a true depiction of reality. This is of course a very
flawed concept and one of the main reasons is that a camera or optical
projection is taken from a single point of perspective. A great way for a
scientist to perhaps analyze a specific time-place event from a specific
viewpoint, but inherently is a flawed view of true reality. At least the
reality in which human conscious beings exist.

And why is it not such a great view of reality--it is because not only the
instrument used to "depict it" has inherent limitations, but also the
operator of that instrument makes both conscious and unconscious decisions
about his image that bring an enormous bias (if we are thinking
scientifically) or an enormous artistic vision (if we are not thinking
scientifically). The operator decides all kinds of things not the least
among which are:
1 The single point from which to take the picture
2 The subject of the picture
3 What should be excluded from the picture--that is the context of the
picture is solely up to the photographer
4 The exact time down to 1/1000 second or more of when his "slice of
reality" is to be captured
5 And in many, many, situations not only the point of perspective from which
to capture the image but the actual placement of the subject (and
elimination of non-subject matter) from the constructed scene.

And this does not even get into all the other subjective decisions about
quality of light, printing, etc that come into play in a photograph.

Today-- a photographer not only controls the above at the time of capture,
but can go back and modify it post capture with inexpensive tools of the
trade.

This is exactly what say Matisse was reacting against as he saw the inherent
inadequacies of a photograph to depict "reality".

" The world of images claims a relationship to visual reality - television
and cinema - but this claim cannot now be sustained."
THE FACT IS THAT HIS CLAIM COULD NEVER HAVE BEEN SUSTAINED. "Visual reality"
cannot be achieved through a camera. I am not sure whether it can be
achieved through any means.

But despite all these biases, we still give a photographic image a great
deal of weight

Later

Tommy Armstrong
PO Box 484
Lillington, NC 27546
(910) 893-5508
www.brickengraver.com

"If you are a big enough fool to climb a tree and like a cat refuse to come
down, then someone who loves you has to make as big a fool of himself to
rescue you"
Walker Percy