percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Walker, animals and Julian Jaynes

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Karl M. Terrell" <kterrell AT sheastokes.com>
  • To: <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Walker, animals and Julian Jaynes
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 20:13:04 -0700

Title: Re: [percy-l] Walker, animals and Julian Jaynes

Thanks to everyone for the exceedingly interesting comments.  As a working Joe who wishes he had more time to think, read and write about these issues, I feel like a spectator watching a particularly skilled tennis match (and thinking to myself, If only I was a little more obsessive-compulsive, I could REALLY hit that ball).

I'll just add a passing remark from the bleachers, on a minor point.  Karey may well be right -- her cat suffers no guilt -- but I'm pretty certain the same cannot be said of the dog lying at my feet right now.  These more social beasts seem to understand (a priori?) the rules and behavioral expectations imposed on them, and when reprimanded often exhibit, at least fleetingly, remorse and, yes, I believe, a consciousness of guilt.

Karl