percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Can the sane be bad?

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Rufus McCain" <korrektiv AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Can the sane be bad?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:52:51 -0800

Then there's Percy's kindred spirit in artful Catholic orthodoxy, Flannery O'Connor, who favorably reviewed several of Teilhard's books and derived her title, "Everything That Rises Must Converge," from Teilhard.  In an article in American Scholar in 1961, O'Connor included The Phenomenon of Man in a list of outstanding books of the previous three decades, saying, it was "a scientific _expression_ of what the poet attempts to do: penetrate matter until spirit is revealed in it."

Just a small tidbit for the discussion -- and to say I'm enjoying the give and take here.  Wouldn't it be nice to be having this discussion over a Dixie beer and some crawfish.

Rufus McCain
Spokane, WA

On 2/28/08, Ken Armstrong <armstron AT ohiou.edu> wrote:
At 01:32 AM 2/28/2008, Nikkibar AT aol.com wrote:
>Mr. Larson is right about Walker's nervousness over Tielhard du Chardin. I
>tried to get him to read the later works on a number of occasions and he
>seemed uninterested although I secretly suspected that he might have
>dipped into the earlier works but didn't want to waste talking time on the
>matter. I never discussed Monad with him as that was one I missed myself.

  I read Teilhard 30 years ago whilst riding buses to & from work in San
Francisco. Had never heard of him prior, but found his books in those
wonderful Bay Area book stores. McLuhan, apparently like Percy, was also
seriously skeptical of Teilhard de Chardin. For myself, his understanding
of evolution only made sense. Ever since I've not understood the need to
draw an opposition between science and religion based on evolution, or I
should say I don't accept it. It seems a naivete on both sides.

Nice to see Percy-L percolating again.

Ken A

--
An archive of all list discussion is available at https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/percy-l/