percy-l - Re: [percy-l] Language is an airplane

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: <robert.g.eckert AT us.army.mil>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] Language is an airplane
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 21:11:09 -0400

Natural selection is a scientific hypothesis and being such it is not a claim
to creation knowledge, as analytic statement 2+2=4, but is rather a synthetic
statement. A scientific hypothesis is subject to an endless process of
verification by a community of knowers. Therefor, there is no finality to
scientific knowing as is with knowing through faith.

Faith is yet another form of knowledge. Faith and reason are two distinct
ways of knowing. This distinction is discussed on JPII's "Fides et ratio" and
Kierkegaard's "The Difference Between a Genius and an Apostle."

Ken s correct when he distinguishes between forms of creating. God's is
"creatio ex nihilo." Human creations are the result of imposing arbitrary
form upon creation. We create in our conception, then impose our mental
creations on the physical environment by rearranging nature.

Domesticated species and recombinant DNA creations are "cultural" in the
anthropological sense. The anthropological definition of culture is the
imposition of arbitrary form upon the environment. The archaeological
evidence of this imposition of arbitrary form -- symbols, clothing, ect. is
evidence of our having crossed the triadic threshold.

Language is the most pervasive symbol system. Other symbol systems,
mathematics, alphabets, have given us even greater power to rearrange nature
to our will.

Spc Robert Eckert
172 Chemical Corp
Ft. Riley, K 66442

BTW -- Spc is E-4, Sgt is E-5 (Soon, but not yet.)