percy-l - [percy-l] The Naked Ape's Triadic Threshold

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: <robert.g.eckert AT us.army.mil>
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [percy-l] The Naked Ape's Triadic Threshold
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 23:13:55 -0400

Newsweek recently had an article on human evolution in which was argued that
human beings became hairless about 110,000 years ago. This was based on the
DNA analysis of hair lice becoming body lice.

The earliest known symbol use, last I checked into this stuff, was beads
found in East Africa--the Blombos Cave, dating from some 90,000 years.

To my thinking, the point at which human beings crossed the triadic threshold
is looking to be about 100,000 years ago.

Being that it was a qualitative, punctual, evolutionary event, it must have
occured at a specific time and place.

Searching for this Adam Event is now involving lice DNA.

This makes me think of Percy's siggest to triangulate--use many perspectives
to locate a point.

If it did occur, more evidence is out there.

- Spc Robert Eckert