percy-l - [percy-l] Babel

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Beck, David A" <dabeck AT iupui.edu>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [percy-l] Babel
  • Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 23:59:08 -0500

Friends,
Since we like to discuss Percy's views on language, I thought I'd do a
little stretch and ask if anyone has seen Babel. I have really enjoyed
Alejandro González Iñárritu's previous two movies (Amoress Perros (sp?)
and 21 Grams). While the movie offers no insights about language
acquistion, it does offer some insights on the confusion that language
can bring. (Since the movie focuses on language and that one of the
main characters is deaf, I thought that it might be an appropriate
discussion on this somewhat comatose listserv.) I think that the deaf
girl's attempt to "connect" through language is very moving and
disturbing.
Sitting at the tomb and awaiting a resurrection,
-David

  • [percy-l] Babel, Beck, David A, 11/27/2006