percy-l - Re: [percy-l] moviegoer

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "RHONDA MCDONNELL" <rhonda_mcdonnell AT msn.com>
  • To: percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [percy-l] moviegoer
  • Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 19:19:16 -0700

Great question. I wonder if the fault wasn't with my perception of them. For 17 and 18 year olds, being introspective might be a role that they play. A sort of posture that they take in a self-conscious fashion. Sort of like Kate in MG, who likes to do things because its the sort of things that a person of the type she sees herself as does. So, these kids play the part of the deep thinker and write poetry (mostly bad) and engage in self-consciously "deep" conversations. Whereas, the student who doesen't come across as introspective is probably keeping his self-examination to himself. Like Binx does. And so Binx resonates for that student because he sees himself in Binx, whereas the self-consciously introspective student is too busy playing the role to connect with Binx--and they seemed to suspect Binx's motives and authenticity because they suspect their own.

An interesting side note: I expected my young feminists to take umbrage at Percy's women--Kate particularly. Instead, they liked her a great deal and found her much easier to connect to than Binx. All the angst with the parents, I guess.

--Rhonda
. . . what people really fear is not that the bomb will fall but that the bomb will not fall . . .
--Walker Percy