percy-l - [percy-l] The Moviegoer

percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Percy-L: Literary, Religious, Scientific, and Philosophical Discussion on Walker Percy

  • From: "Beck, David A" <dabeck AT iupui.edu>
  • To: "Percy-L: Literary and Philosophical Discussion" <percy-l AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [percy-l] The Moviegoer
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 22:39:06 -0400

Friends,
A few weeks (months?) ago, someone posted a message about the success of teaching The Moviegoer to a high school class. (I'm thinking it was Rhonda.) But the email encouraged me to try it once again, in my Intro to Lit class this summer. Most of the class will be bright-faced, eager to learn, college freshman--well, college freshman anyway.
The Moviegoer is one of my favorites, but it's also one that I've never taught successfully. Most thought it was too weird (I interpreted that as being too dated--replace Tony Curtis with Tom Cruise, etc.) But if high schoolers got it, then maybe it is the way I've been teaching it.
Lancelot has always gone over well in my 200-level lit classes. And Love in the Ruins also works pretty well, though it's a little too long. But TMG is such a great book that I thought I needed to give it one more try. I'm re-reading it now and am really enjoying it again.
So my question is (to the list and to Rhonda, if she is the one who posted the email): What is a good way of presenting this novel that is dated (in its references) but is as timely now (if not more so) than ever to college freshman?
Any help will be much appreciated. The class doesn't begin until 6/26.
Thanks.
-David